Thursday, September 18, 2008

Jawbox Rules


The other day my roommate in his infinite laziness asked me to give him a ride downtown, naturally I said no. That was until he flashed before my eyes five whole dollars worth of fine American currency. In which case, I couldn’t say no. Not only did this make me five dollars richer, but put me in right direction to go to one of my weekly stomping grounds, Amoeba records on Haight Street. Amoeba records is pretty large in terms of records stores go and it has most of the stuff that any musical person would be into…hip hop, rock, blues, techno, punk, metal etc. all categorized for your convenience in new or used condition. They also have various musical formats including the compact disc, vinyl, cassette, and an 8 track or two—for some odd reason.
Amoeba is usually overrun with the typical Haight street tourist, but nonetheless it never usually hinders my record shopping experience. So, as I entered amoeba on that dreary afternoon I made a B line straight for the recent used 7inch record arrivals. This is usually where I spend most of my time and money. After perusing for a while I came across a pretty good find. It was a Jawbox and Tar split seven inch for a solid one dollar. I wasn’t too familiar with Tar but Jawbox is really awesome band from the nineties with ex members from the D.C. punk band Government Issue. The bands both play a Jawbox song called static, Jawbox’s version is from the LP Novelty and Tar’s version is live at a show in Chicago. Although this is not the original pressing of the split it was still a quality find for only a dollar.
To accompany this post I wanted to find and post the video for “cooling card” one of my favorite Jawbox songs, but when I searched for it on youtube the video had embedding disabled. This bummed me out, but it also made me think about how today there are many other facets where media is coming from. I did some more searching and I found many user generated live videos and also some other videos that others had posted.

So, here is a video of Jawbox’s song “Savory” in all its ‘90s glory.

No comments: