Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sittin' On The Dock By The Bay

Nostalgia is the perfect excuse for procrastination. I know that every time I'm in front of my computer ready to type that really long paper due all too soon I still can't keep my mouse away from that internet browser icon. Looking up videos and listening to songs from when I was a youngster take up hours of my time and I love every second of it. Especial because sometimes these nostalgic trips down memory lane re-spark a love untouched for so long that it is almost forgotten.

When I was in first and second grade my dad gave me rides to school pretty consistently. Everyday I would get my lunch-- and various school products that a first/second grader would need--and get ready for the three or four block ride that our small town would afford me to school. On the way to school my dad always had music going; because of this I developed an early love in artists like Al Green, Otis Redding, and Sam Cooke. I remember looking at the cassette case of the Al Green Greatest hits tape and thinking, "man...this guy is so cool." I would borrow my dad's tapes all the time and listen to them in my walkman laying on my bunkbed's imagining myself singing on stage with Al Green. I know, I know, this sounds pretty strange for a second grader, but it's true, I couldn't get enough of it.

However, as years went on I grew away from my buddy Al, and Otis and into anything and everything that a young kid loves. But, it was a few years ago in my freshman year of college when I was supposed to be doing a paper of some sort when I again rediscovered my good friends and fell back in love with these artists.

I know its not the most traditional young child vices, but hey, to me this is one of my original old school favorites.

Here is a video of Otis Redding at the Montery Pop Festival that anyone with a sense of hearing will hopefully enjoy.

No comments: